1. What are the specific short-term goals for the website (in the first 1 to 6 months, reduce customer service workload by X%, generate X volume in sales)?
2. List the major purposes for the website, the reasons for building one
3. Create a list of website URLs with designs or schemes that appeal to you and give reasons why
4. Create a list some of competitor website URLs and the most attractive features of their sites
5. Describe your vision for this site and will visitors interact with it?
6. List 30 words or phrases that describe your business and write copy incorporating these keywords for your site
7. How will your site maintain visitor attention and encourage repeat visitors and referrals?
8. Define how will you cross promote your site through social media and traditional marketing venues
9. What are the 6 to 8 major topics of your website and what is the priority for focus?
10. What requirements are needed when using development tools to create your website and interfaces that will make it easier for you to maintain the site?
Answering these questions thoroughly before building your website and building a well written plan around them, will lead to a more successful internet marketing campaign for your site. I actually have a more comprehensive list of questions but please comment if I missed a question that should be on this list. Also below is a video by one lady who has a plan for generating traffic to your website.