Ford has announced the upcoming release of a SDK for it’s Sync equipped vehicles. The SYNC system offers numerous features to FORD car owners including Hands-free Calling, Turn-by-Turn Directions, 911 Assist™, Music Search, Vehicle Health Report, Personalized Daily Info, Business Search, Traffic Alerts, and Audible Text Messages.
For a developer like myself this is a dream since you will now be able to build a user experience that extends from home to office and back again. If you have the ability to captivate your audience, you can build an experience that will keep them entertained so thoroughly that they will never hear your competition! It will be exciting to see what ideas developers come up with to take advantage of the ability to integrate across environments.
The API will allow developers to be able to do some of the following:
1. Create a voice UI for your application using the in-vehicle speech recognition system.
2. Write information to the radio head display or in-vehicle touchscreen
3. Speak text using text-to-speech engine.
4. Use the in-vehicle menu system to provide commands or options for your mobile application
5. Get button presses from the radio and steering wheel controls.
6. Receive vehicle data (speed, GPS location, fuel economy, etc.)
For a list of cars that support the new Ford sync technology, please visit here.